Abiquo and Forrester Consulting Find Smarter, Business Policy-Driven Automation is Needed to Fuel Cloud Computing EvolutionNovember 2, 2010 | 5:57 am
Market profile conducted by Forrester Consulting on behalf of Abiquo, entitled Smarter Automation Fuels Cloud Computing Evolution is now available. This groundbreaking profile of U.S. and UK cloud adopters reiterates the idea that automation is a key enabler of cloud computing and that a lack of smart, business policy-driven automation may inhibit success with cloud computing. Although 93% of organizations surveyed were interested in one or more types of automation, 65% had no automation for their private clouds and 28% had only basic automation. Only 7% could seamlessly move workloads using automation.
“As enterprises build private clouds, the need for smarter, more business-oriented automation is becoming clear,” concluded the Forrester Consulting study. “Our profile revealed varying degrees of automation maturity, which threaten to inhibit many from attaining the desired outcomes of business flexibility and low operational cost. Those with limited automation must evolve beyond their automated provisioning and migration to attain true cloud computing. Their developmental and operational processes must be strong and additional automation technologies that analyze behaviors and also business and regulatory policies will be necessary in order to adapt when deviations are detected.”
Summary of Key Findings
- Preference for private clouds (45%) followed by hybrid clouds (21%)
- 93% interested in some form of cloud automation
- 65% have no automation for their private clouds
- 28% have basic automation (automated provisioning of VMs) for their private clouds
- 40% interested in smarter, business-driven automation (policy engines and the decision triggers of automation)
- Only 7% have advanced automation including the ability to seamlessly move workloads using smart automation
For more information about Abiquo’s Business Policy and smart automation keynote and other sessions at Cloud Expo Silicon Valley 2010, visit http://Cloudcomputingexpo.com/event/schedule. To see live demonstrations of Business Policy and smart automation, visit the Abiquo booth (#200).