Abiquo helps Admins use safe templates with Service Catalogues for Public Cloud
Public cloud services often come with a huge library of templates for virtual machines, but using these can be risky.
These image library templates are created by the provider themselves, by software partners who use the library as a form of promotion, or by members of their user community who upload an image that they think will be of interest to others.
Unfortunately, in that latter group are those who either by accident or by design leave back door access (perhaps with a poorly protected admin account), install Trojan horse software, fail to identify viruses or create insecure default configurations in the template.
With leading providers like Amazon issuing security advisories on templates, infrastructure admins managing cloud services for their IT and development teams are concerned about their exposure to security issues. This is backed up by research: in 2012 Researchers at France’s Eurecom technology institute, Northeastern University and the security firm SecludIT discovered that 22% of the 5000 machine images tested were still set up to allow a login by whoever set up the virtual machine’s software.
Users who work with these templates can put their data and platform security at risk, and they may also find they’re not using the software vendor’s best practise for configuring their solution. This can present problems for later upgrades, for application performance, and in solving dependencies in the underlying operating system and supporting software.
With the updated Abiquo Appliance Library, delivered with both the Abiquo Provider Edition for service providers and the Abiquo anyCloud service, cloud administrators can take control over the virtual machine templates available to their users, ensuring that they only deploy templates that have been tested and approved.
In the Abiquo Console, admins pick from public or private libraries to build a collection of tested and certified templates for their team for each public cloud region. By using Abiquo’s built-in template search, testing these templates, then adding them to the anyCloud App Library cloud admins can ensure that team members using anyCloud as their public cloud management system can only create virtual machines from these approved templates.
We’ve launched a new version of our product: abiCloud. The version is a new release candidate for 1.0.0. You can download it for Linux or Windows from sourceforge.
- [ABICLOUD-340] – Reset button never receives the ‘power on’ event.
- [ABICLOUD-352] – Unexpected error bundling images: Cannot recover from error.
- [ABICLOUD-356] – Power on events not received
- [ABICLOUD-367] – Tracer: problem with column virtualmachine
- [ABICLOUD-346] – Add a ‘recalculate’ buton per datacenter to calculate the existing performance
- [ABICLOUD-363] – Change USER section name like GROUPS
If you need support, you can get it from wiki.abiquo.com
We are glad to announce a new release candiate for major version 1.0.0 of the abiCloud project, an open-source cloud platform manager which allows to easily deploy a cloud computing infrastructure . Users can create, manage and scale complext IT architectures easily trough our impressive user interface. You can download it for Linux or Windows from sourceforge.
- Added “Cancel” button. Now, the user can cancel the deploy. [BETA]
- [ABICLOUD-262] – When a Virtual Machine does not start properly, the Virtual Machine stays in the hypervisor endlessly
- [ABICLOUD-295] – Change 1.0.0-SNAPSHOT title to 1.0.0-RCx
- [ABICLOUD-304] – GUI update on users view
- [ABICLOUD-307] – user-unfriendly error message when creating a volume without available storage
- [ABICLOUD-310] – “NULL” hypervisor name in event description
- [ABICLOUD-312] – Erroneous event message when deleting a VirtualDataCenter with VirtualAppliances
- [ABICLOUD-313] – I can’t change the virtual Machine name
- [ABICLOUD-314] – Clone Physical Machine, hypervisor port is not clonned.
- [ABICLOUD-315] – Better information when /opt/vm_repository is not well created
- [ABICLOUD-316] – Bad visualization when I have an image with a long description
- [ABICLOUD-323] – RIMP: error clonning disk, if the disk exist
- [ABICLOUD-325] – Appliance Manager doesn’t works on Windows
- [ABICLOUD-328] – Description text should word wrap in Virtual Machine information screen
- [ABICLOUD-330] – Problems in a special case in Apply Changes functionality
- [ABICLOUD-333] – I can’t modify the VDC name
- [ABICLOUD-334] – RIMP: no mount nfs repository
- [ABICLOUD-336] – Cannot upload virtual images
- [ABICLOUD-337] – Passwords in virtual-factory and vsm are not in sync
- [ABICLOUD-341] – IP pool is sorted lexicograph instead of numeric
- [ABICLOUD-342] – Resources are not released after bundling
- [ABICLOUD-343] – After bundling images, in infrastructure the bundled virtual image is still shown with red status
- [ABICLOUD-349] – IP selection overwritten if clicked save button
- [ABICLOUD-350] – AM: can’t download image
- [ABICLOUD-351] – I can’t delete an Image
- [ABICLOUD-353] – Cannot modify a running Virtual Appliance. It redeployes the removed node.
- [ABICLOUD-354] – Bundle fails and stays in unstable state
- [ABICLOUD-357] – Lost IPs when assigning DHCP leases
- [ABICLOUD-358] – The fileid of the Disk Section is indexed by the virtual image name, then 2 different images with the same name will share the latest file
- [ABICLOUD-359] – JDBC Exception when bundling an image several times
- [ABICLOUD-364] – Pagination say 1 of 0 pages
- [ABICLOUD-366] – Unnecesary power-on of virtual machines when bundling images
- [ABICLOUD-60] – Hard Disk text box
- [ABICLOUD-201] – Everytime a virtual machine is created, it should have a name derived from the virtual image name
- [ABICLOUD-287] – Consider chaning omapi port from 7791 to 7911 (the default OMAPI port)
- [ABICLOUD-309] – New enterprises don’t have the ‘abispace’ default repository
- [ABICLOUD-317] – Signal with datacenters without virtualfactory (remote service)
- [ABICLOUD-319] – If there is no virtualFactory on the datacenter… stops the deployment
- [ABICLOUD-324] – Improvements on AM startup
- [ABICLOUD-329] – Refresh subscriptions
- [ABICLOUD-361] – The cursor on abicloud start
- [ABICLOUD-365] – “Upload” remote repository should not appears
If you need support, you can get it from:
We are glad to announce a major release of a new version (1.0.0-RC1) of the abiCloud project, an open-source cloud platform manager which allows to easily deploy a cloud computing infrastructure . Users can create, manage and scale complext IT architectures easily trough our impressive user interface. You can download it for Linux or Windows from sourceforge.
- Important changes in Appliance Library section:
- Multi-enterprise management. Each enterprise has his own private repository and remote-repositories
- Upload process to generate new Virtual Images from your computer to repository
- Download process to catch a virtual image from repository to your computer
- Design improvements in the usability
- Now, Enterprise admins will be able to manage their enterprise’s repositories
- Bundled images:
- Abicloud allows users to generate their own virtual images using virtual machines that are running on the platform
- Management of master/slave images.
- Developed an eventing system that stores the events generated in the application
- Filter and show the eventing information
- Now you can decide the initial private IP for generate private IP ranges
- Changed creation of physical machines process in order to avoid not necessary information
- Now abicloud supports the V. 3.0.0 API. Tested over v. 3.0.8.
- [ABICLOUD-51] – Open 3 appliance at the same time
- [ABICLOUD-69] – VM status does not match with current status of the Virtual Appliance
- [ABICLOUD-138] – Download image from remote repository is OK but appears some error
- [ABICLOUD-189] – The physical resources consumed by the virtual machine when a node is deleted when the virtual app is running are not roll back
- [ABICLOUD-193] – Problems with the vnc client
- [ABICLOUD-202] – PAE not supported in VirtualBox
- [ABICLOUD-204] – The SAVE button should not be enabled when the VA has not been modified
- [ABICLOUD-205] – Minor bugs/Improvements in Bundle
- [ABICLOUD-206] – I can’t update the physicalMachine information (HARD DISK)
- [ABICLOUD-209] – Error editing a storage pool
- [ABICLOUD-210] – Hard disk controller entry in OVF is not recognized
- [ABICLOUD-214] – Network card entry in OVF is not recognized
- [ABICLOUD-220] – End of download/upload notification event never arrives
- [ABICLOUD-223] – Enterprise Admin cannot manage his/her own repository
- [ABICLOUD-225] – Implement in the metering search view the correct view hiearchy for each role
- [ABICLOUD-226] – Show information of the item that generated the event in Metering
- [ABICLOUD-228] – An enterprise Admin CAN’T create enterprise
- [ABICLOUD-229] – An enterprise admin MUST access to Appliance library
- [ABICLOUD-231] – I can’t create PUBLIC appliances
- [ABICLOUD-232] – Problem adding a VirtualFactory in a DC created
- [ABICLOUD-236] – Clone Physical Machine, Hypervisor information is not clonned
- [ABICLOUD-237] – I can’t delete a DataCenter if exists VirtualDataCenters asigned on it
- [ABICLOUD-239] – When an image is downloaded from a repository the RAM assigned in DB i 0 instead of the RAM of the OVF
- [ABICLOUD-240] – Interface: “Delete Appliance” fail
- [ABICLOUD-244] – Enterprise Admins can create enterprises
- [ABICLOUD-245] – If a user is deleted, it’s not possible to create a new user with the same username
- [ABICLOUD-246] – Download events seems to work randomly
- [ABICLOUD-249] – Java process does not dead. Timers are still alive.
- [ABICLOUD-250] – Bundle with vBox
- [ABICLOUD-252] – Cannot edit virtual machine. Changes are ignored
- [ABICLOUD-254] – Deleting a virtual application from the virtual applications editor returns strange results
- [ABICLOUD-255] – Change the Virtual Appliance name when is running
- [ABICLOUD-258] – Cannot create new enterprises
- [ABICLOUD-267] – Cannot bundle image.
- [ABICLOUD-158] – Fix the Hypervisor value to show in the Create Virtual Datacenter popup
- [ABICLOUD-188] – AM: Wrong location for conf files
- [ABICLOUD-191] – Cannot deploy a KVM machine from Virtual datacenters screen.
- [ABICLOUD-207] – No error when the session is invalid
- [ABICLOUD-221] – It’s not easy to distinguish Master and Slave dependant images in the repository
- [ABICLOUD-222] – Upload does not show progress information on the screen
- [ABICLOUD-230] – Dashboard layout
- [ABICLOUD-247] – Edit Virtual Image does not populate the mandatory ‘description’ field
- [ABICLOUD-248] – The icon of a virtual image is not updated on database from repositories after download
- [ABICLOUD-253] – If you modify the name of a virtual machine clicking on the icon, the name is not changed in the lower information screen
- [ABICLOUD-256] – Date Filter
- [ABICLOUD-257] – Add new remote service: ok enabled but doesn’t works
- [ABICLOUD-260] – Error traces should be displayed with the full trace and with ‘CRITICAL’ severity
- [ABICLOUD-261] – VNC in a new tab
- [ABICLOUD-264] – Create events should contain all the information of the artifact created in raw text
- [ABICLOUD-265] – Cannot logout of the console if session timeout expires
- [ABICLOUD-266] – Chaotic behaviour of User Session
- [ABICLOUD-270] – If you delete a repository space, all the local master and slave images are deleted
- [ABICLOUD-271] – Clone Physical Machine doesn’t work
- [ABICLOUD-272] – Filters on Event Section can’t be erased
- [ABICLOUD-274] – idEnterprise in Bundle images
- [ABICLOUD-297] – Can not create Virtual Datacenter
- [ABICLOUD-98] – Rimp exceptions (and openwiseman exceptions I guess) are truncated.
- [ABICLOUD-167] – Downloaded image from repository is always VMware
- [ABICLOUD-173] – Wrong URL adding a repository makes the UI to stall
- [ABICLOUD-180] – Changes in the Apps Library images are persisted, but information does not change in the screen
- [ABICLOUD-190] – Openwsmand checks if still running in start method
- [ABICLOUD-216] – Categories in OVFindex.xml separator cannot be space, change to comma
- [ABICLOUD-227] – Spanish letter “ñ” doesn’t works
- [ABICLOUD-267] – Cannot bundle image.
- [ABICLOUD-275] – The scheduler has to discrimate the hypervisor technology
- [ABICLOUD-278] – Exceptions in AMSink are not inserted in the eventing system
- [ABICLOUD-280] – Cannot save a Virtual Machine. Raises an exception and start the deployment of the Virtual Appliance by itself
- [ABICLOUD-283] – If you delete a repository space and register it again, still ‘remember’ downloaded images
- [ABICLOUD-284] – When a wrong RS is added, an unexpected error from VA appears
- [ABICLOUD-285] – In the process: Create a duplicate RS, Delete the duplicate RS and trying to enter the originary one, an error is occurred
- [ABICLOUD-288] – If you upload a Virtual Image, the memory allocated by default is 99999999
- [ABICLOUD-289] – Delete a Physical Machine throws an exception. Can not delete its Virtual Machines
- [ABICLOUD-291] – If bundling a virtual appliance fails, it should recover from the error
- [ABICLOUD-294] – Error trying to shutdown two virtual applications at the same time
- [ABICLOUD-298] – Text fields in metering screen overlaped
- [ABICLOUD-300] – IP information on Physical Machine detail is truncated
- [ABICLOUD-301] – Chart of used CPU is not correct
- [ABICLOUD-46] – Virtual Machine states
- [ABICLOUD-47] – Repository Space on Appliance Manager don’t show long strings
- [ABICLOUD-106] – AbiServer should use notifications to register new downloaded images on the ApplianceManager
- [ABICLOUD-151] – Show the hypervisor type for images in VirtualApp view
- [ABICLOUD-199] – Cannot have multiples Remote Access open at the same time
- [ABICLOUD-200] – Implement a ‘Copy to clipboard’ button besides the VRDP IP and port
- [ABICLOUD-233] – Create physical Machine should be the default option
- [ABICLOUD-234] – Default rack on physical Machine
- [ABICLOUD-235] – Filter by Location on Datacenter management
- [ABICLOUD-279] – Change ‘description’ field in Virtual Image to text type, or truncate to 255
- [ABICLOUD-64] – Deleting a virtual image
- [ABICLOUD-112] – Time out on Remote repository connection
- [ABICLOUD-147] – Different hypervisor instalation path on each physical machine
- [ABICLOUD-197] – UUID cannot be the name of the image. It’s not human readable
If you need support, you can get it from wiki.abiquo.com